Sunday, July 6, 2014

Lessons in Liverpool

My 8 weeks are up!  I can't believe I will be back on American soil tomorrow!  Time has FLOWN by!

This has been the most exciting, challenging, unique, exhausting experience, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I had an amazing time teaching in Liverpool and exploring Europe.  It is hard to explain how surreal this whole experience was.  I still can't believe I am actually over here.  It has all been like a dream.

I have learned a lot during these 8 weeks, about myself, teaching, and different cultures.  Here are a few nuggets that I have learned.

Wifi is precious:  I never realized how much I take wifi, or 3G for granted.  The wifi on campus is spotty, but as soon as I leave campus, my iPhone turns into a glorified iPod with no internet access, or ways to contact people or pull up maps.  This has proved to be one of our biggest problems while traveling.  We can't just look up where we are or where we need to go.  We get lost and we can't open the maps app or call for help.

Public transportation is not fun:  Busses, taxis, trains, metros/tubes, whatever it may be, I am not a fan.  I prefer to drive myself, and anyone who knows me knows that is saying something.  I don't like being on someone else's schedule and have to pay a lot for it.

You will get lost looking for you hostel:  It's inevitable.  Those things are not easy to find.  They are tucked away amongst the maze of streets, usually without signs.

Ask old people who aren't sketchy for directions:  Older people usually know the city better and won't scoff at you when you ask.

Ask young people who aren't sketchy to take your picture:  They will usually try to get good angles and take a good picture, whereas older people will just snap one shot and be on their way.

Water is hard to find:  Honestly, it is really hard to find water.  They have sparkling water, pops, wine, and beer, but water is harder to find.  And when you do find it, you have to pay big bucks for it.

Take away is always cheaper:  For some reason, take away (to go) food is always 3-4 pounds cheaper.  When you have a choice between sit in and take away, always do take away.

Drivers do what they want:  European driving is the craziest I have seen.  If motorcyclists, bicyclists, and people on mopeds want to pass, they won't use a different lane; they will ride on the line between two lanes of traffic.  Want to parallel park on the opposite side of the road?  Go for it!  It is a free for all.  Honking and weaving through traffic is a must

I could not live in a big city:  I knew this before the trip, but it was definitely solidified during these 8 weeks.  Yes, big cities can be nice, but not to live in.  I like having a lot of space and quiet.  You cannot get that in a big city.


You have to pay for ridiculous things:
  • Using the bathroom
  • Eating in vs. Take away
  • Towels in hostels
  • Sheets in hostels
  • Cold water vs. warm water (cold water costs more)
These are just some of the minor things I have learned.  If I had to write it all out this would be a very long post.

It is so bittersweet coming home.  I can't wait to see my friends and family, but I would love to explore Europe more.  I am pretty excited that my feet won't hang off the end of my bed and that I won't have to constantly worry about bedbugs or other sketchy things in a hostel.  And I wouldn't be sad if I didn't see another potato or form of potato for a few months.  Free water and wifi won't be a bad thing either.

When I land in Indy tomorrow I will have…
Traveled ~15,792.37 miles
Taken 40 busses
Taken 19 Trains
Taken 17 Taxis
Taken 15 Flights
Visited 12 Destinations
In 7 different countries
And become 1 World traveler

Thanks to everyone who supported me and made this an amazing experience!  I am so privileged to have had this once in a lifetime experience!  It has been great even though I rode the struggle bus on many occasions!  Keep an eye out for any additional posts!  Ta and Cheers!




Cups Song (Pitch Perfect's "When I'm Gone") by Anna Kendrick




No comments:

Post a Comment