Wednesday, May 14, 2014

We're All Really the Same


As expected, I still need a few days to get adjusted to everything.  I keep finding myself in jaw-dropped awe that I am actually here.  Then I actually realize how similar yet different everything is here.

Carriages 
Yes, I am stating the obvious, the cars and road are taking a little bit to adjust to.  We have had a few experiences where we are looking to the left and don't see a car coming, only to find out that there is a car barreling toward us on our right.  I'm sure we will all learn after a few near misses.

Bathrooms
The sink, toilet, and shower that I would expect to be in one room, are now in three.  This is a little confusing at times, but something I am getting used to.  The sink has two different faucets, one that summons the water from Antarctica and the other that summons the water from earths inner core.  The flushes a little differently than back home, so I thought I broke it the first time I used it.  And the feeling like you are smart until you step into someone else's shower and then you realize you don't know how to work it, yep I asked for help and still stood there for a few minutes trying to get it to work.  Well thats all part of the adventure.

Water
I brought my trusty water bottle to fill up whenever I am thirsty, but the issue is that there aren't any drinking fountains.  Apparently, water isn't as big of a thing here.  I try to fill up whenever I get the chance, which is only at meal times.

Food
Potatoes--every meal there are potatoes.  I am not complaining about the meals they are different, but good.  Like I would have never thought to sell stir fry, corn, and french fries together as a meal or to make a grated cheese and butter sandwich.  We get desserts with every meal.  I am not complaining!



Despite some differences, I am having a great time and actually surviving.  I am actually doing pretty well, I managed to use public transportation, find a hole in the wall (ATM), explore the city of Liverpool, and go shopping for some necessities.

We went to City Center to go shopping.  This place is huge!  It was like mall that had streets in it and hundreds of shops and historical buildings.  We recognized some of the shops.



We came upon St. John's Church and Garden while shopping.  It was beautiful.  It was bombed in WWII.  Now the inside is hollow and can be used for a variety of events.  We had a very nice British couple take the whole groups picture in front of the church.




We talked to the couple for a little bit.  We told him that we were college students, so he asked about frat parties and how he didn't understand how we are labeled in high school as freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors.  But in the end he said "We're really all the same, aren't we?" Yes, despite all of the differences, we are all the same.  Ta and Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your blog, love hearing about your adventure! Glad to hear you ventured out. Surprised about the water situation ! Like you said things are the same but different! Getting ready for Relay, missing you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete